Friday, December 18, 2020

BHAGAVAD GITA - CHAPTER 10 - VIBHUTI YOGA

 

BHAGAVAD GITA

CHAPTER 10

VIBHUTI  YOGA

 

Bhagavad Gita is Lord Krishna's advice to the Confused Arjuna on the Battle field of Kurukshetra.

Each chapter of Bhagavad Gita is designated as a YOGA.

Here is a summary of Chapter.10. Vibhuti Yoga. There are totally  42 Slokas in it and I have given here a faithful description of what each Sloka says. Overall, it is a description of  the Lord's all pervasive, extraordinary greatness. Lord Krishna Says - Arjuna, identify me in all that is best in the Universe. The Lord gives examples of so many kinds - to understand his greatness, or, his Vibhuti.

Now, let us go to the sloka-wise description :

In Vibhuti Yoga, Lord Krishna is telling Arjuna about his extraordinary greatness or Vibhuti and how and where to identify it in the Universe.

1. O Arjuna! Because you possess so much friendliness and devotion for me, I also seek your welfare. Listen to me as I repeat those advices which are most suitable for you.

2. I am the most ancient and I am the root cause of all. So, neither the Gods, nor the sages know how I came to be.

3. I am the one without birth and without a beginning. I am the Lord of the whole Universe. Whoever understands me, he gets liberated from all ignorance and from all sins.

4. Intellect (deciding faculty), wisdom (Jnanam),clarity (not falling into illusions or sammohah), Patience (and forgiveness), honesty, control over the five senses, control over the external organs, happiness, sorrow, what is, what is not, fear, courage.... All these are all happening because of me only :

5. Non violence, equality, contentment, Tapas ( penance), Generosity,  fame, notoriety, different types of feelings of all beings... all these are also happening because of me only.

6. The Saptarshis (Seven Great Sages),the more ancient four sages (sanaka, sanandana, Sanatana, Sanat kumara), the 14 Manus (Svaarochisha, Svaayambhu etc) are all my devotess. They were born because of my will, as my Maanasa putras (born from my mind).

7. Who ever really understands this greatness and  Yoga of mine, that person, undoubtedly, becomes an unwavering yogi.

8. I am the root cause of the whole creation. Everything in this creation is functioning because of me only. Knowing this, the wise sages become my devotees and always worship me.

9.  My devotees keep their minds on me, devote their life to me, talk about me to each other, thereby they become extremely joyful and enjoy their life.

10. With the whole mind and thoughts on me and with great devotion, whoever serves me, to them, I grant that buddhi yoga which enables them to reach me.

11. To liberate them, I stay fixed in their Antahkarana (deepest consciousness), I kindle the light of wisdom in them and remove the darkness of their ignorance.

12.  Now Arjuna asks the Lord : You are the Para-brahma, Parandhaama, you are the most sacred one. You are the eternal, you are the most divine Purusha (deity), You are the most ancient almighty, you are the birthless. You are the lord.

13. All great sages, the divine sages of Narada, Asitha, Devala and Vyasa - all of them know you. Now, you are  telling all this for my sake yourself.

14. O Bhagavan, O Krishna, All that you are telling me, I totally accept as the truth. Your great, real identity is unknown even to the Gods and Demons.

15. O Purushottama (the greatest of all purushas), O  creator of all beings, O lord of all beings, O Lord of all Gods, O Lord of the entire Universe, Only you know the greatness and real identity of yourself.

16. You only are competent to declare, the extraordinary greatness of yourself, in all its completeness, that with which, you are pervading the entire universe

17. O Bhagavan, O Yogeswara! How will I always think, pray and know you? In what manner, I must devote to you, pray you and meditate on you.

18. O Janardana! Please tell me about the greatness of your Yoga again. I am not fully contented and satisfied by so far listening to your eternal and beautiful  teachings.

19. After listening to all these Arjuna's Requests, the Lord takes over again. He continues as follows : O Arjuna, there is no end point at all to the extent of my great Vibutis. I am detailing my Vibhutis, again, especially for you

20. O Arjuna (Gudaakesa) ! The Athma which resides in the hearts of all beings is none other than Myself. I am the start , the middle and the end of all beings.

21.  I am the Vishnu among the twelve Adityas(Dwadasaadityas), who are the children of Adithi).

I am the Sun among all glowing entities in the universe.

I am the Mareechi among all (forty nine) Maruthths.

I am the Moon among all stars.

Note : All this simply signifies that, the best in everything is none other than myself.

22. I am the Saama Veda among the Vedas.

I am the Indra among all Devas(Gods).

I am the Manas among all senses(Indriyas).

I am the consciousness among all living beings.

23. I am Sankara among the Eleven (Yekaadasa)Rudras.

I am the Kubera (the Lord of riches) among all Yakshas and Rakshasas.

I am the Agnihotra(the Fire God) among all Vasus.

I am the Meru mountain among all mountains.

24.  Know that - I am the Brihaspathi the best among all Purohits.

I am Skanda(the commander of the Heaven's armed forces), among all Commander-in-chiefs.

I am the Ocean among all water bodies.

25. I am the Bhrigu among all the Great sages.

I am the OM among all sounds.

I am the Japa Yajna among all Yajnas.

I am the Himalayas among all sthavaras (Hills)

26. I am the Aswattha tree among all trees.

I am the Narada among all Divine Sages.

I am the Chitraratha among all Gandharvas.

I am the Kapila Muni among all Siddhas.

27. I am the Ucchaisrava, born with Nectar(Amritham) in the Milky ocean, among all Horses.

I am the Airavath, among all Elephants.

I am the Emperor among all human beings.

Know this, O Arjuna.

28. I am the Vajra among all weapons.

I am the Kaama Dhenu among all Cows.

I am the Kandarpa (Manmatha, the Lord of desire) among the procreating forces,.

I am the Vasuki among all serpents.

 29. I am the Anantha or Adisesha among all Cobras.

I am Varuna(Lord of rains)among all the beings of water.

I am the Aryama, among the Pitru devathas(Ancestors).

I am the Yama among all those who do Samyamanam.

30.  I am the Prahlada among all Daityas(Progeny of Dithi).

I am the Kaala(Time) among all mathematicians.

I am the Lion (the king of all animals) among all animals.

I am the Garuda (the son of Vinatha) among all birds.

31. I am the Pavana or Vayu among all the cleansers.

I am Lord Rama, among all those who wield the Bow weapon.

I am the crocodile among all fish.

I am the Ganges among all rivers and other water streams.

32. O Arjuna! Among creations, I am the Start, the middle and the end.

Among all studies, I am the Adhyathma Vidya, the learning of 'who I am'.

I am the argument of all the arguers.

33. I am the Akaara (the letter A) among all letters.

I am the Dwandwa among all Samasas (in Grammar).

I am the never ending time.

I am the Dhaatha with infinite faces.

34. I am the Mrityu who destroys all and everything.

I am the birth of all those who are going to be born.

I am the fame, the treasures (Sree), the spoken word, the remembrance power, the courage and the patience in all women.

35.Likewise,I am the Brihath Sama among all the Saamaas(sruthis suitable for singing).

I am the Gayathri Chanda among all the Chandas.

I am the Maarga seersha among all months.

I am the Vasantha rithu among all rithus (Seasons).

36.I am the Gambling trait (Dyootham)  in all deceiptful people.

I am the Tejas (inner brightness) in all bright people.

I am the victory in all victorious people.

I am the Sathva Guna in the Sathvika people.

I am also the agriculture which gives all food.

37.I am the Vaasudeva among all men of Vrishni dynasty.

I am the Dhananjaya among all Pandavas.

I am the Vyasa among all sages.

I am the Sukracharya among all Kavis/Poets.

38.I am the  Danda (rod used for punishing) of all those who wield Danda.

I am the Neethi (specific inner characteristic) of all those who seek Victory.

I am the silence among all secrecies.

I am the wisdom in all wise men.

39. O Arjuna! The root seed for the birth of all beings is Myself.

There is nothing which is not myself in all this moving and non moving world of beings.

40. O Parantapa(Arjuna)! There is really no end to all my extraordinary Vibhutis (greatnesses).

I have explained them in a simplified form to you.

41.Know this, that -Everything that has some vibhuti, some Sree or some tejas, some energy, some strength all those are born from a small part (or the Amsa) of my Tejas.

42.O Arjuna! what is the purpose and usefulness of knowing all this in so much more detail?

In this entire Universe, I am everywhere with just one small Amsa or part of my Yoga sakthi.

Conclusion : Here ends the Tenth chapter called Vibhuti Yogah - in the Yoga sasthra, which is a Part of the Brahma Vidya, in the Upanishad of Bhagavad Gita. It is a part of the Dialogue between Lord Sri Krishna and Arjuna.

Here, Lord Krishna is telling the easiest way of discovering the Lord everywhere in the Universe. Where ever you see some greatness in this Universe, know that, it is the Lord's own greatness reflected in a small way. The Lord is reflecting himself in all such greatness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment