- What you do on the outside is not LIFE; it is activity. Life is within you. How this feels and functions right now is most important.
- If you think one thing is sacred, but the rest of the people you cannot stand; if you love the creator but hate the creation, it is a big vulgarity.
- Your personality is something that you created. Once you are aware of that, you could create it whichever way you want.
- Fear has essentially come into human life, because of lack of clarity. Wherever there is clarity, there is no fear.
- Dhyana means to be beyond the limitations of the body and mind. When you exist here only as a body, as a mind, suffering is inevitable.
- Power should not be given to people who have no sense of inclusiveness.
- If you want everybody to fall in love with you, the first thing is, you must fall in love with all of them.
- There is only one calamity; that is ignorance. And there is only one solution, that is enlightenment.
- If you want to run your eyes on somebody, please choose yourself for scrutiny. Do not scrutinize others.
- Success does not come to you because you want it. Success comes to you because you did the right things.
- Do not settle for who you are right now. If you push the barrier, there is something else.
- When you understand that yoga is a process of dissolution, only then, it brings the divine into your life.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
One such Sage is Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. When he speaks, it comes from some divine centre within him.
Spirituality lays great stress on SATHSANG for spiritual progress.
While, the company of the Guru and other disciples is the best form of Sathsang, when this is not possible, listening to Guru's words on some media is the next best thing.
I therefore place here a few of his words, which I receive as SMS messages from friends. As we can all see, these are to be understood, contemplated upon and totally ingested into our lives.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
We will continue the summary of "the science of action" (or, Karma Yoga) further here :
- THREE ESSENTIAL CHARACTERISTICS (also called the 3 GUNAS) : 3 essential characteristics called Sathva, Rajas and Thamas govern the whole universe. These three Characteristics are inherent in us and are responsible for propelling us into different actions from time to time .
- SATHVA GUNA : Sathva Characteristic is predominant in the wise person. It's hall mark is compassion. He is strong but doesn't use strength unnecessarily. He has no enmity within him and thus has no enemies outside.
- RAJAS : Predominant in the man of action. Activity and anger come to the fore in his character.
- THAMAS : Predominant in the idle, hateful, jealous and the fearful persons , these characteristics give out the Thamas nature in them.
- KARMA OWNERSHIP : No doubt man chooses Karma. But, he can perform the Karma, leaving its ownership to the Creator - and not taking credit or debit for it on himself. This elevates such Karma to its highest, noblest form. Do thy work with great devotion, without succumbing to negative sensations / feelings. But, most people do not understand the essence of this karma Yoga.
- SENSE CONTROL : Senses in association with the three Gunas propel us into doing or not doing various actions. So, for proper and noble action beneficial to all, SENSE CONTROL is essential for man.
1. LIKES AND DISLIKES : Man is a slave for his own Likes and Dislikes and must be very careful in forming such likes and dislikes. Dispassionate and correct action becomes difficult because of them.
2. SWADHARMA : Devotion to one's own profession in life removes the ill-effects of Likes and Dislikes and infuses dispassion into our actions.
3. DESIRE and ANGER : People invariably get into Crime and sin because of desire and anger (un-righteous behaviour) born of Rajo Guna.
4. SENSE CONTROL : Sense control is the first requirement for avoiding unrighteous forms of desire and anger. After sense control comes Mind Control and intellect control.
5. ATHMAANUBHOOTHI : The purpose of this is to experience the Self, the ATHMAN, which is the real YOU. This experience is called ATHMAANUBHOOTHI.
6. I salute the Lord Krishna for giving us this treasure of KARMA YOGA, which is the essence of Life. In some subsequent Posts, I shall also summarize the teachings of some Great masters on Karma Yoga, which will further reveal to us the beauty of the SCIENCE OF ACTION taught to us - by Lord Krishna.